Saturday 4 October 2008

ashamed

I am as you might have worked out a spurs fan. It has always been a badge of honour that because of the Jewish roots of the club we were 'nicer' than others. Racist chants died out at the lane early on I am pleased to say.
But now we stand accused of being the fans who abused Sol Campbell. I never abuse a player ever since I once abused (with the rest of the crew) Beckham and he played his best game and scored. lesson one abuse can back fire!
secondly I hate a negative approach to football. We win by cheering them on not by abusing the other team.
so we come to sol and the abuse he received on Sunday. I thought the song was tasteless the first time I heard it. Why do we still sing it? because we are still angry, still let down? because we want to let the player know we do not like him? isn't it time we matured a bit and let it go. He was a hired footballer who never told us the truth about leaving and upset our trust. So what?
We need to stop the chants, the game has changed and very few footballers are loyal. Ledley King appears to be one of those few and he doesn't need his song to be one where we slag off Sol.
I sometimes sing 'we've got ledley at the back' . can we not just sing that and leave the abuse out?
or a season by season basis my heart gets broken and my dreams dashed by the team, can we please not become a side we become ashamed of because of a minority of the fans

No comments: